Monday, October 4, 2010

Creating Bamboo


Learning to paint bamboo with the same style used in Asian cultures was a fascinating project. As we learned to hold the brush a certain way and the 3 different strokes to use, I began to realize how precious similar works I have seen before are. I didn't realize how much work goes into creating certain pieces. Perhaps I only found it difficult because I am accustomed to using the 'common' styles and holding it like a pencil, but the more I practiced, the more my appreciation grew. While my piece, that I put my chop on was not my favorite, I did end up with a piece I loved (will post later) once I got the hang of the swift light movements of the brush. However it was great to see how such simple movements can create such realistic looking plants As for the chop we made to mark our work, I loved the idea of how it's used. It took a lot of creativity to fit my name in a little square but once it was done I loved how it looked and the purpose of having it. This is the type of project I can surely see myself incorporating in my life as a teacher for I feel it teaches us valuable lessons about appreciating and the importance of learning about art in various cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment