Monday, October 4, 2010

A Bug's Life: Starring Gus

Within class one day, we were asked to go outside and study bugs. After returning we were told to create our own bug, anything we wanted. Instead of using classic shapes or simply combing parts of real bugs, I decided to really create an ideal bug. With thoughts running through my head there was one I kept coming across, The Lion King/ lions. I really wanted my bug to have the head of a lion with a mane. So that's what I created.From there I thought about the structure and wanted something like a butterfly. While I created some semi-normal looking wings, I decided to put geometric shapes on it to give it more symmetry. Then for the body, I decided it would be really fun to create scales and if he has scales he may as well have fins on the end of his body. Throughout the process I loved what my bug ended up looking like. I believe this assignment brought out a surge of creativity in the moment giving me something I will treasure and will probably hang up in my room. So here is my bug, I named Gus. The collographs we made were a great way to bring the bugs to life. The one done with crayons helped give the bugs more personality by adding various colors together and adding to it's personality. This assignment I am certainly going to use in the future in the classroom. As for the print done with paint, it gave the bug a sophisticated look to it. I love that my bug, in the print with paint, now looks like a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment